To get a more authentic experience, it’s often better to stay in a hotel on the edges of a city. Life is a little slower out of the centre and restaurant staff, bar tenders and receptionists have more time for their customers. Here are twelve of the best hotels just outside of Amsterdam centre.
For ulture and history, stay in Haarlam
1. Carlton Square in Haarlem is a 35-minute drive from Amsterdam. Haarlem is packed with culture and history, and boasts 10 museums, iconic breweries and a delightful old town. Carlton Square is a 4 star hotel with a bar, restaurant and a choice of stylish rooms.
2. Hotel De Zoete Inval Haarlemmerliede is half a mile from Harlaam old town and there’s a free shuttle to the nearby Spaarnwoude station. A choice of 3 restaurants, a bar, bowling alley and bicycle hire can be found at this hotel, and free parking is provided too.
Compact and wallet-friendly
3. Booking a hotel just outside of Amsterdam helps to keep costs down. New Century Hotel, Fogostraat is a 25-minute hop from the city centre by tram. The rooms are compact and fitted with a flat-screen TV, high-speed internet and an en-suite shower room. There’s an affordable restaurant and guests can help themselves to free hot and cold drinks at reception.
Handy for the airport
4. Schiphol Airport serves Amsterdam and there’s a collection of great hotels to be found here. Ramada by Wyndham is a mid-priced hotel that boasts an indoor swimming pool, gym, free airport shuttle, restaurant and bar. It’s only 6 miles from Amsterdam centre, so it doesn’t take long to reach all the sites.
By Nieuwe Meer lake
5. Walking distance from the lake and midway between Schiphol Airport and the city centre is Mercure at Amsterdam West. This hotel is modern and sleek with a restaurant and bar plus outside terraces. There’s a gym onsite as well. The rooms come with air-con, Wi-fi, minibar and coffee machines.
A luxury hotel
6. The Crowne Plaza Amsterdam is for those with a generous budget. It’s a short walk from Amsterdam Zuid station getting you into the city in 10 minutes. For business meetings, this hotel offers plenty of space, and for mealtimes there’s a casual international restaurant.
7. The Amadi Panorama Hotel is in a quiet location overlooking the water to the west of Amsterdam. It’s ideal for riverside walks and can be in the centre of Amsterdam in just 15 minutes.
A unique Hotel
8. Each room at the Lloyd Hotel is different, unique and quirky. This renovated historical building offers rooms in the attic, rooms with hammocks and rooms with rock n roll themes. Rietlandpark tram stop is only 200 metres away, so it’s convenient for getting around.
Amsterdam Noord is the place to be
9. Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Noord has rooms at an affordable rate. Drive for 2 minutes and you’ll be on the A10 motorway, or get on a train and you’ll reach the sites of Amsterdam in 15 minutes.
10. The ihotel in Amsterdam Noord is easy on the wallet. The rooms are spacious and there’s the option of a continental breakfast. All the landmarks in the city centre are a mile away, so it won’t take you long to get into the centre from here.
Westpoort area for affordable hotels
11. The Amsterdam Teleport Hotel is lively and modern, ideal for travellers looking for fun. The rooms have colourful graphics painted on the walls and a ping pong table features in reception.
12. The Meininger Hotel has a minimalist décor and functional rooms. Choose from a compact single room, twins, triples and rooms with bunkbeds depending on the size of your group. It’s next to Sloterjijk Station, so public transport couldn’t be closer.